Thursday, March 12, 2009

Time Warped 

Whenever I visit a historical monument I'm struck by the fact that I am existing in two time periods. The present and the past. I feel I'm passing through pillars of infinite stories entrenched in their bricks, and floating in the space between them. What had passed through these, centuries ago? Star-crossed lovers or players of political intrigue? 

Aren't we encasing time all the time? In our architecture, our dwellings, our walls, and forms of art and businesses. We will come and go, but these will remain, and be at the mercy of those who come later.  

We are time-travelling all the time. There is a time-machine. Inside us. If we can go back in time through our memories, can we do that physically too someday? And can embedded clairvoyance be perfected to know the future? This stuff of Science-fiction is definitely plausible. 

But do we want to do that? Is the mystery of the order.....best left mysterious? 

Meanwhile, I'm still happy to revisit old forts, and spin yarns of the past and the future in an alternate reality.  

All this reminds me of a movie - that I've never been able to watch in it's entirety - Kate & Leopold (2001). Meg Ryan and Hugh Jackman. The tagline says:
 
"If they lived in the same century they'd be perfect for each other." 

I've never guaged this one - a romantic science fiction sort, where two people meet across time periods. No, I'm not anti-love or anti-imagination.......and maybe I'm just being my cynical self.....but I don't get it! Maybe I'll re-visit it someday to get over my prejudices, because I genuinely like this quote from the film:

"Time. Time, it has been proposed, is the fourth dimension. And yet, for mortal man, time has no dimension at all. We are like horses with blinders, seeing only what lies before us. Forever guessing the future and fabricating the past." 

4 comments:

the latin sardar said...

It took me nearly 20 mins to start writing something in the comments box, only because I was lost in time. WOW!!!

Harman said...

:) thanks. hehehe

Anonymous said...

dude...your posts are getting heavier...go to the mountains...! breathe!!

Harman said...

hahha...these "heavier posts" are breath and soul food actually...but yes, the mountain trip has been planned, and i'm all set to leave in a month.....and chill! :)