Monday, September 11, 2006


THROUGH THE LENS

When travel and photography come together, it’s a heady combination. Now, I haven’t done much of the two together. But it’s something I wish I could do for the rest of my life.

Goa was my first real experience. With my Nikon FM10 in tow, I had the challenge before me to capture my friends, the place and laze away merrily. So, wherever I went, I observed everything with the eye to fit it into a good frame. My heartfelt apologies to my friends, who may have felt my neglect for them at the cost of a good photograph.

But the results just blow away any guilt. To see your passion take shape, evolve into colours, to view the expected and the unexpected, just gives me so much satisfaction and pride.

So, travel shows are not easy. You are not on a holiday. You are working for your audience’s leisure. I can only imagine that all one can think about is getting all the shots and the frames. That sounds disappointing for those who dream about such a job (including me).

But when I go back to my Goa experience I remember the madness that welled up within me, when I thought of a frame. I ceased to think about anything else, until my shutter clicked. So, what you need is passion. It is the only thing that takes you through life.

[Photo Credit: Harmanpreet Kaur]

No comments: