Tuesday, September 05, 2006


THE PERFECT TRAVELOGUE

I bought the book, City of Djinns by William Dalrymple from the pavement behind Bombay University for Rs 130 only. The vendor promised me sixty rupees if I returned it back. The book never gave me a chance of that. For if I could, I would put every chapter of that book in gold.

Every word in it is so beautifully etched, that it made you travel in your mind. History never sounded so appealing, till when it came from Dalrymple’s words like a true story. He explores all aspects of Delhi, giving his opinions but maintaining that brilliant journalistic quality of being unbiased.

I treasure it as one of my favourite books, and respect him as the ideal travel writer. So much so, that when I wanted to buy his next book, I chose the fattest volume.

No comments: