Friday, September 01, 2006

DRIVING THROUGH HERITAGE

I travel on the Delhi-Mathura highway everyday to work and back. Busy at all times of the day and packed with trucks of all sizes, I cross the border of an ancient town called Badarpur. Bursting with vehicles, you can manage to catch sight of an ancient structure tucked away admidst electrical wires. It’s the Badarpur Gate, and unfortunately it’s a beautiful ruin.

And then there are these slender archways, again in ruins. It was after a hectic day at work, that to avoid a traffic jam, my driver quickly swerved into an alley and drove me through narrow lanes outlined with ancient darwazas. Empty lanes in front of me, and with moonlight at it’s best, it was indeed a royal feeling.

I’m trying to find out about these ruins, but am unable to on the web. So, the mystery surrounding them shall continue and keep my imagination occupied.

No comments: