Monday, January 19, 2009

Hello Nonsense!

Not everything we say needs to make sense. Nonsense can be such a profound liberator. In fact it is the exact flow of thoughts in our mind...one thought off shooting onto another and further on to tangential planes. Funny on the surface level, and deep on another.
"I am the Walrus", the 1967 song by The Beatles is one such example. Penned by John Lennon on separate acid trips, he combines three of his poems on different subjects into one. He says, "I was writing obscurely a la Dylan in those days." Thank you Johny, for this crazy song, that trips me out without the acid. A cover version by Bono for the 2007 film "Across the Universe" is a great tribute to this song as well.



I AM THE WALRUS - THE BEATLES
"I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together. See how they run like pigs from a gun, see how they fly. I'm crying."

"Semolina Pilchard, climbing up the Eiffel Tower.
Elementary penguin singing Hare Krishna. Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe. I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus,
goo goo gajoob ga goo goo gajoob(rhythmical speaking along with juba's). Juba juba juba, juba, juba, juba, juba, juba, juba juba. Juba juba....."

Next up is that awesome dude called Beck Hansen. Where does he get all the energy into his lyrics from? The first ever song I heard of his was in the early 90's called "Loser". I never got it then. I revisited the track a few years ago, and I was struck, I was hooked! It's surrealistic nonsense. Some people refer to it as 'stoner rap'. The experimental video of the song is a mash-up of home videos. Beck says, "We weren't making anything slick – it was deliberately crude. You know? It wasn't like one of these perfect new-wave color soft-focus extravaganzas."

BECK
"In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey
Butane in my veins and Im out to cut the junkie"

"Im a loser baby, so why dont you kill me?"

"You cant write if you cant relate
Trade the cash for the beef for the body for the hate
And my time is a piece of wax fallin on a termite
Thats chokin on the splinters"

"It's only tears that I'm crying, it's only you that i'm losing. Guess I'm doing fine.
Most depressing thing ever, but it's so amazing."

"I think I'm going crazy
her left eye is lazy
she looks so Israeli
Nicotine and Gravy"

"Talkin' trash to the garbage around you."

"Perfunctory idols rewriting their bibles
With magic markers running out of their ink"

"Now I'm a seasick sailor
On a ship of noise
I got my maps all backwards
And my instincts poisoned"



Then, my all time favourite is Alice. I understood her when I was old enough to. Where is that mushroom now? I wanna eat it, go down the rabbit hole, and be mad with the mad hatter at the mad tea party. Off with your Head! And I cannot wait for the movie with the DEPP man as Mad Hatter!

ALICE IN WONDERLAND - LEWIS CAROL

"I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!"


"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?"

Pure gibberish requires pure genuis. And No, you don't have to "get" it all the time. It's avant-garde!
I find interesting nonsense on www.verybadpoetry.com, a place I visit on a bad day at work or when the brain is dead. Here's a gem from there:

"we're gonna be best friends forever
forever until we're not
we're gonna have the same dreams
date the same kind of dudes
until we don't
we dont even date at all
we don't have dreams
we don't have dudes
we're not even friends
not friends
not forever
oh and one more thing
i dont even like you
not even a little bit"
:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

alice in wonderland is one piece of dark art!! yeah eagerly waiting for tim burton's version on it...also, you might want to check out 'vincent' by tim burton...after having read this post, taking the liberty to assume you'll enjoy it dude! hit http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=hD8uQzu0IL0