Thursday, May 07, 2009


It's all in the mind.......

I met these two nuns at the Dalai Lama monastery in Mcelodganj. I asked them to explain me a tibetan quote painted across the door of the monastery. Despite the language problems, they explained to me that if one lets go of all suffering from the mind, it can free you. Their faces are peace and joy personified.

Buddhism is so simple. I've been facinated with it for some time now, and the peace that one can observe in dharamsala on the faces of tibetans and monks alike, makes me wonder why we lead such convoluted agitated lives sometimes.
It's not easy to let go of pain, but if one really thinks about the simplicity of it all, it's easy to emancipate the mind.
I've always felt that life is about balance. And Buddha felt that the middle-way is the best way. All the excesses of life in a palace left him dissatisfied. When he stepped out into the world and saw suffering, he realised pain. When he penanced without water, food and even air, it left him feeling ill. The middle path--within neither extremes, was the way to live a life of happiness, he felt.

Is that tough to practice?

I feel it is not about "letting go of desires"...as I assumed it. If one reads the buddhist philosophy, you realise it's all about knowing yourself, crystal clear.

“We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.”
---Buddha

[Photo Credit: Harmanpreet Kaur
]

No comments: